Online Gambling Laws in Malta
Malta is one of the few countries around the world where real money gambling is widely permissible by law, with few restrictions.
Residents in the country are able to access a wide range of options in this sector that will include sports betting, casino, and lottery games among others.
Are Malta Online Casinos Legal ?
It is legal for residents of Malta to play at online gambling venues providing they meet minimum age levels and any other general eligibility requirements.
Providing an online casino in Malta is fully licensed and regulated, it will be legal to play here. Any digital gambling brand looking to offer services can be licensed by the Malta Gambling Authority who were set up in 2001 to regulate the new rise in internet casino and sports betting play.
An online casino is required by law to publish details of their Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) license. This will usually be found at the bottom of their online homepage. Prospective customers can also check this point directly with the MGA website.
If the license details are not shown, it is possible that the site in question may be unregulated. In this instance, the operator is best avoided as the license from the MGA is a mark of security.
It's also possible that the operator may have been banned for whatever reason. In short, if the license from the MGA is in place then the casino is legal and trustworthy. If the details are unavailable, it's advisable to play somewhere else.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Malta?
The same principle applies to sports betting in Malta. The practise is perfectly legal both online and out in the physical world. There are bricks and mortar outlets, but the global trend is to place real money bets on the net.
There is a wide choice of sportsbooks available online. If they want to provide digital services in Malta, they will have to obtain that license from the Malta Gaming Authority. This confirms that the company can legally provide sports betting services in the country under local law.
Anyone wishing to sign up can check the licensing details on the operator's website, or they can head directly to the MGA for clarification.
If there is no license in place, the operator is unregulated. They may have been banned by the MGA for a number of reasons or, they may simply not have sought to be licensed.
Naturally, any banned or unregulated sports betting site in Malta comes with a warning and players choosing to place bets will do so at their own risk.
Betting at a licensed Maltese sportsbook ensures a safer playing environment.
What is The Future of Online Gambling in Malta ?
The gambling industry in Malta has been thriving in recent years and there is no suggestion that growth is set to slow down. Despite a global economic slowdown since 2020, the sector has posted positive results across many territories and the MGA appear confident that this will continue.
Initial projections suggest that gross value and revenue should continue to rise, but what does this mean for the average customer?
A license from the Malta Gaming Authority is highly respected among the casino and sports betting sectors. In any calendar year, we see more new sportsbooks and casinos coming online and to be regulated by the MGA is seen as an endorsement of fair play and trustworthiness.
We should therefore see even more choice for bettors and casino players in the near future, but how do we work through that list of companies to find the best options?
How We Find The Best Legal Malta Online Casinos
Any casino providing services in Malta is assessed based on a number of criteria. Those that tick all of the boxes are the ones that make the cut.
Here's what we look for:
- Licensing & Regulation - First and foremost, a casino has to be regulated and licensed. We simply would not recommend an operator if they didn't provide legal services in Malta. Licensing and regulation via the MGA is checked and verified. It's a sign that funds and personal details are kept safe and that this is a fair place to play. If a casino is unregulated or previously banned, it is unwise to play here and such an operator will not be included on the list.
- Safety and Security - We want players to be safe when playing online and that their personal information, along with their real money balances, are secure. The best online casinos in Malta employ high levels of Secure Socket Level (SSL) technology which encrypts information in order to keep it out of sight of third parties. The higher the SSL, the stronger the security is. Our chosen casinos are all trusted brands and many have their own security pages where they go into greater detail on these points.
- Variety of Games - Choice is important when it comes to choosing a home for your casino play. The best operators will list a wide set of options, which usually start with hundreds of different slot games. From there, they will go on to publish roulette, blackjack, baccarat and poker among others.Many players also like the live casino rooms. This brings a great atmosphere to card and table play and the best operators in Malta will have a live platform too.
Jackpot City are a well known brand in the industry and are popular among players who like to aim high. As the name suggests, there is a focus on jackpot slots and there is a wide selection of top titles including Mega Moolah and Wheel of Wishes
Classic Casino are a good choice for those who want to play with a no deposit bonus. Players currently receive 3 free spins upon sign up for a progressive jackpot game. For an additional deposit of $1, there will be 80 more chances to win.
This is another trusted online casino and one that is used by regular players. The VIP program is a big attraction and this is one of the most popular platforms for real money games. Fast payouts at Yukon Gold are another big positive.
The feeling among many players is that Leo Vegas has the best mobile app for slots, table games and live dealers. It's free, fast to download and easy to use. The Leo Vegas app is available on all major platforms including iOS, Android and Windows
Fastest Withdrawal Casino | 888 Casino
A respected name with a long history, there's a lot of trust around the 888 brand. It's also the biggest online casino for VIP players with a huge set of funding options for fast deposits and withdrawals.
Popular Online Casino Games in Malta
The best online casinos are the ones that provide the widest range of games online. This principle applies in Malta as well as all other countries around the world. Of course, some games will always be more popular than others and here are the titles that players are more likely to look out for.
The slots are the most popular section of any online casino. There are likely to be hundreds of titles made available by the operator and these cover a whole range of themes. Players choose slot games according to their preference. Some will like the classic slots that are similar to the physical fruit machines in the physical world. Other slot games offer big progressive jackpots, while many provide extra bonuses and free spin rounds.
Online blackjack is a popular card game which will be made available by the majority of casinos in Malta. There will be games with classic rules while others provide their own unique twist.
Among the more unusual variants are Double Exposure by NetEnt and European Gold Blackjack by Microgaming which are big hit among casino players.
There are three main versions of roulette and most casinos will offer all of them as part of their platform. European, American and French are the 'big three' and all offer a slight twist on regular gameplay.
All follow the same mechanics which involve a wheel, a ball and a betting area. Place a bet from a wide series of options and watch the game play out.
Slingo is a curious mix of slots and bingo and it's made a big impression in a short space of time. There are various ways to play it, but most involve spinning a set of reels and filling up a bingo card in the process.
It's a new concept for online casinos and is a fast and fun choice for many.
Most Popular Casino Games in Malta
Here is a summary of some of the more popular casino games in Malta
- Starburst - NetEnt
- Multi Hand Blackjack - Netent
- Lightning Roulette - Evolution Gaming
- Slingo Monopoly - Slingo
- Thunderstruck II - Microgaming
- Book of Dead - Play N'Go
- Gonzo's Quest - NetEnt
- Thai Blossoms - Betsoft
- Kitty Glitter - IGT
- Alaskan Fishing - Microgaming
Find Top 10 Casinos Around The Globe
No Deposit Bonuses & Minimum Deposit Online Casinos For Malta
All casinos should be looking to provide their customers with extra value via offers and promotions. There will usually be a deal at the start of the journey and this will be backed up through the life of the account.
A no deposit bonus is getting rarer, but they still exist in some places. In return for completing a registration form, the operator will credit a small amount of money into the player's account. This is likely to be set as a maximum of 5 Euros but it could be smaller.
Players can then use that no deposit casino bonus to play a choice of games. All terms and conditions should be checked with no deposit bonuses, particularly those relating to wagering requirements and a possible cap on winnings.
Where there is a low minimum deposit at a Maltese casino, this could range from 1 euro, through 3 euros and up to 5 euros, depending on the operator.
No Deposit Bonus Casinos In Malta
A no deposit bonus requires no initial outlay, but it is likely to need a registration. Only the most essential of personal details will be required for each player to get on board. The amount agreed, potentially 5 euros, will then appear in the new account.
In theory, the player can then use that amount to play a game of their choice, but it is vital to check for any terms and conditions. It may be the case that some games are excluded. It's also possible that the bonus allows for free spins at a nominated slot game such as Starburst or Book of Dead.
The other main terms to look out for relates to wagering requirements and a possible maximum payout. A wagering requirement, also known as a rollover, refers to the amount of times that a bonus has to be staked. For example, a 5 euro bonus with a 10x rollover requires 50 euros of stakes before any winnings can be withdrawn.
There may also be a cap on winnings earned from a no deposit bonus. 30 euros may be a typical example.
Welcome Bonus of Casino for New Signups
A welcome bonus is usually applied by a casino once the account has been confirmed and verified. This can take many forms and it's important to check to see exactly what's being made available.
A matched deposit is the most common bonus. Upon receiving a deposit into the new account, the site will match those funds, usually between 50% and 100%. Free spins may also be part of the package.
Terms to look out for include the minimum and maximum bonus levels and the likely wagering requirements. Free spin packages in isolation may also form part of a welcome bonus deal, but these are rarer.
Low Deposit Casinos
A low deposit casino is perfect for a range of customers. In the early stages, it's a useful way of getting on board with a new operator and checking out what they have to offer. Players can test out a range of games without committing too much in terms of financial outlay.
Low deposit casinos can also help players who come onboard with a range of budgets. With some options starting from as little as one euro, it's ideal for managing budgets when playing on a regular basis. A one euro deposit is quite rare, but it is available in some outlets. More common starting points for low deposit casinos are 3 euros and 5 euros.
- $1 Deposit Online Casinos in Malta - Sites where players can deposit from as little as $1. These are perfect for getting a feel of a casino.
- $5 Min Deposit Online Casinos - Deposits start as $5. Players who want to commit more are welcome and it's still low enough to play while getting used to the site.
- $10 Minimum Deposit Casinos - These sites are more for regular players who are happy to get on board for the longer term.
How To Deposit at Malta Online Casinos
The deposit process will vary slightly, depending on which casino is used, but all operators will tend to follow a certain pattern. After registration is complete, the customer may automatically be taken to the cashier's page. If not, it's a case of following these simple steps.
- Click on the 'cashier' or deposit button at the top right of the home page
- Enter your preferred payment option (see list below)
- Type in the amount that you wish to deposit.
- Check that all the details are correct and click to confirm
It's a simple process that should take less than five minutes. With the majority of payment methods, the funds will immediately show in the new account
How To Withdraw & Keep Casino Winnings
The withdrawal process is similar to that for deposits. The important thing to remember is that casinos are unlikely to allow players to withdraw via a payment method that hasn't already been used for deposits. Once that point has been taken care of, customers can follow these simple steps.
- Head to the cashier's page
- Click on the button that is marked 'withdraw'
- The page will list previous payment options. Click on the preferred choice.
- Enter the amount that you wish to withdraw
- Check that everything is correct, before clicking to confirm.
The withdrawal process has been set in motion. In some cases, funds will hit the player's account on the same day. With many withdrawal methods, the money will arrive within 24 - 48 hours.
Best Malta Online Casino Payment Methods
All casinos should provide a wide range of payment methods. It's good to have choice and the majority of operators are flexible in this respect. As a bare minimum, casinos in Malta should be listing VISA and Mastercard debit cards as an option. Note that the use of credit cards for gambling websites is being outlawed across the world.
EWallets are the next most popular option. These are financial institutions that store money and allow customers to pay for goods and services online. Funds can either be added to those eWallets, or customers can receive money for selling their own merchandise.
The best casinos always provide a wide choice in this respect, but which are the better options?
This is the easiest and quickest way to fund a new account and it's generally the most cost effective. Deposits made via debit cards will be instant. Any future withdrawals should also be fast and shouldn't take longer than 48 hours.
Another clear advantage to using a debit card lies in the general absence of charges. With the vast majority of operators, using VISA or Mastercard debit is completely free. In some rare cases, the company may make a small charge of around 0.25%.
In summary, for ease of use, fast payments and fee free transactions, debit cards can be a wise choice.
Traditionally, PayPal have worked with fewer operators than other, similar financial institutions. Their presence, therefore, as a funding provider can be seen as an additional endorsement of that casino's trustworthiness. They are the biggest eWallet in the world and Paypal have built up their own high levels of trust over a long history in this digital age.
Transactions should also be fast. Paypal are unlikely to charge fees, but there is a higher chance of a charge being made by the operator. Fortunately, this is easy to check via the payments page, or with customer services.
One added benefit with PayPal and other eWallets is the fact that they give an extra level of security. No financial information is shared with the merchant when a transaction is made.
Neteller is an eWallet that works in the same way as Paypal. It may not be so widely used among wider ecommerce sites, but it is something of a favourite within the gambling industry. Neteller was established in 1999 so there is a long history and the trust has built up over time.
Transactions work in exactly the same way with account details being entered on the cashier's page. The funds are then transferred between Neteller and the casino. Deposits should be instant while withdrawals can take up to 48 hours. Fees will be low, or possibly free, and there is that added layer of security that all eWallets provide
Other Payment Alternatives
Most online casinos will list a wider range of funding options beyond those main three. There will be extra eWallets such as PaySafe and Skrill which work in the same way as Paypal and Neteller. ApplePay is also becoming widely used around the online gambling industry.
Others may require a voucher code while more casinos are beginning to accept Bitcoin and other forms of cryptocurrency. Operators often have a payment section where they have a full list of funding providers, or this information can be found at the bottom of the homepage.
Online Casino Bonus Terms For Malta Players
All casino bonus offers are likely to come with terms and conditions. These will be clearly displayed and it's the player's responsibility to make sure they are fully acquainted with the rules.
Some terms are less restrictive than others and each offer is different. Here are some typical ts and cs that players may find with casino promotions.
- Wagering Requirements : A wagering requirement is also known as a rollover and it is one of the most common bonus terms. This is the amount of times that a bonus needs to be played through so, if the offer is worth 10 euros and the wagering requirement is 30x. 300 euros will need to be staked before any winnings can be withdrawn
- Game Contribution Percentage : Look to check whether a mix of games is needed to complete the promotion. For example, the casino may ask players to wage at least 80% at the slots
- Validity/Expiry Period : All casino bonus deals are likely to come with an expiry date. These can range up to 30 days, but could potentially be as short as 4 days, so remember to check on this point.
- Max Bet : A maximum bet level may be applied and this is one way in which potential winnings could be restricted
- Max Cashout : Any winnings that come directly via a bonus offer may be capped. A limit of 50 euros is not untypical and this is another condition that should be checked.
- Allowed Games : Be sure to check which games are allowed under the bonus offer. In some cases, some may exclude specific games while others will be restricted to certain titles.
Why Trust Our Online Casino Reviews for Malta
All casinos are thoroughly checked before they make it onto our recommended list. We are experts in the gambling industry and our reviewers have spent many years working through the operators to bring you the best ones.
All aspects of the platform are checked including the value of the bonus offer, together with customer support and the range of funding options. It's an honest and unbiased approach to finding the best casinos around the world.
- Expert reviewers
- Honest and unbiased reviews
- All aspects analysed
- Only trusted casinos make the cut
- All casinos fully licensed and regulated
Malta Online Casino FAQs
- How do online casinos in Malta work? Online casinos in Malta employ random number generators (RNG), to ensure that all games are conducted fairly. Results of slot spins, roulette spins, turns of a card and others, are completely random and not preset. Industry recognised independent governing bodies are used to verify that the RNGs are working correctly.
- What is the legal gambling age in Malta? The legal gambling age in Malta is 18.
- Are the best online casinos in Malta safe? Yes, all of the licensed casinos in Malta use high level SSL security to encrypt sensitive information which keeps their players safe.
- How do you start playing at an online casino? A registration process is required in order to start playing. This will usually require a brief set of personal information, followed by a verification process. Players will then need to add funds in order to start playing.
- Do you have to pay taxes on the money you win on the internet? This depends on the country in which you are playing. In many cases, winnings from online casinos are tax free and not considered to be part of an income. In other legislations, there is tax to be paid. Check with your local tax office for a definitive answer.
- Can I play the games for free without using money? Yes, most casinos have demo versions of each game. Remember that, while there is no money at stake, it's not possible to claim any winnings with free games.
- Can I keep my winnings with a no deposit bonus? Yes it is possible to keep winnings from casino no deposit bonuses. Remember to check terms and conditions, particularly those relating to rollovers and maximum wins.
- Is it legal to bet on sports on the internet? Yes, providing the player's country of origin allows for online sports betting. The practise is legal in Malta.
- What is the best casino game to play for real money in Malta? There is a wide choice of games including slots, roulette, blackjack and others at online casinos in Malta. Personal preference plays the major part, but new players can check the Return to Player (RTP) percentage. Those games with a higher RTP will pay more returns on average over a period of time.
- What is the best payment method for the fastest withdrawals? Debit cards are usually the best payment method for the fastest withdrawals. With many casinos in Malta, withdrawals made will be transferred instantly. Any debit card withdrawal shouldn't take longer than 48 hours.